To coincide with the 100th anniversary of its founding, Morinaga Milk formulated a new structure for its philosophy and began working to realize this new approach under the slogan: “Making Sustainable Society a Reality.” The initiatives related to sustainability that Morinaga Milk has taken in recent years are as follows.
- January 2016: Co-Creation of Aspirations Project
The project was launched in order to formulate a philosophy structure ahead of the 100th anniversary of the company’s founding.
A two-day forum of employee volunteers was conducted to discuss the results of a questionnaire taken among all employees.
- June 2016: Launch of CSR Promotion Department
- The CSR Office, which was a part of the Investor & Public Relations Department, was reorganized as an independent entity – the CSR Promotion Department.
- July 2016: Establishment of the CSR Committee
- The CSR Committee, chaired by the President, was established. The committee meets once every six months. The CSR Promotion Department at the headquarters serves a coordination function with all other divisions, departments, etc. in Morinaga Milk.
- April 2017: Announcement of new philosophy structure
- The new philosophy structure was announced on April 1, 2017. At the same time, “For Ever Brighter Smiles,” which was created through the Co-Creation of Aspirations Project, became the new Corporate Slogan.
- May 2017: Holding of SDGs Study Group
- The SDGs Study Group was held with the participation of employees from a variety of departments and positions. Outside experts as instructors were invited to consider the relationship between the SDGs and corporate activities across the entire supply chain.
- June – July 2017: Participation in Stakeholder Engagement Program
- Morinaga Milk representatives participated in programs (human rights due diligence workshops) organized by Caux Round Table (CRT) Japan. Five workshops involving a series of discussions with a variety of companies were held with NGOs/NPOs and experts around the topic of “Business and Human Rights” to identify serious human rights issues.
- 2March 2018: Joined RSPO
- Joined the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO).
- April 2018: Signed United Nations Global Compact
- Morinaga Milk signed the United Nations Global Compact, which sets out protection of human rights, elimination of unfair labor, action on the environment, and prevention of corruption.
- February – May 2018: Formulation of Priority Issues
- As part of the 2017 SDGs Study Group, Morinaga Milk formulated seven priority issues through a total of four workshops.
- June – July 2018: Participation in Stakeholder Engagement Program
- November 2018: Formulation of Human Rights Policy
- The Human Rights Policy was established to emphasize respect for human rights across the entire supply chain of the Morinaga Milk Group.
- March 2019: Establishment of a Long-Term Vision (Morinaga Milk Group 10-Year Vision)
- April 2019: Participation in the Japan Sustainable Palm Oil Network (JaSPON)
- Morinaga Milk participated in the Japan Sustainable Palm Oil Network (JaSPON) as a founding member and served as director in order to accelerate the procurement and consumption of sustainable palm oil in the Japanese market with the aim of solving a range of problems in palm oil production related to the environment and development.
- May 2019: Sustainability Initiatives in Management
- An explicit statement was promulgated that business will have an ESG-focus in the Medium-term Business Plan (2019 – 2021) and KPIs were formulated for priority issues.
- December 2019: Confirmation of KPI Progress by the CSR Committee
- October 2020: CSR Committee confirms KPI progress
- October 2020: Anti-corruption Policy formulated
- March 2021: Breast-Milk Substitutes (BMS) Marketing Policy formulated
- March 2021: Support for TCFD recommendations
- In addition to expressing support for TCFD (Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures) recommendations, Morinaga Milk joined the TCFD Consortium, a forum for supporting companies and financial institutions to discuss related matters.
- June 2021: Sustainability Division begins operations
- The Sustainability Division was newly established to promote sustainable management that will lead to ongoing development of the Group. The CSR Promotion Department was renamed the Sustainability Promotion Department and the CSR Committee was renamed the Sustainability Committee.
Sustainability Data Book 2020
See “Sustainability Data Book 2020” for details.