Environmental Performance

Supply Chain and Material Flow

In its efforts to reduce environmental impact, the Morinaga Milk Group observes a set of voluntary standards that are stricter than the legally required standards. The group’s environmental preservation activities include the development of energy-saving and environmental protection technologies for a low carbon society, environmentally friendly procurement, environmentally conscious product design, reduction of raw material waste in manufacturing activities, reduction of waste materials by implementing the 3Rs (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle), etc.

Energy and CO2

The Morinaga Milk Group is promoting activities to reduce CO2 in order to combat global warming. The volume of CO2 emissions from manufacturing the group’s products in FY 2017 was 348,000 tons, about 4,600 tons lower than in the previous year. Various efforts at our plants over the course of the year included updating to high-efficiency refrigerating machines, shifting to inverters for air-conditioning, wastewater pumps, and the like. At the Hokkaido plants, work was begun to convert from fuel oil to natural gas. In terms of distribution, we have also implemented a modal shift from vehicle transport to railways and ships, and revised and reduced shipping routes to reduce CO2 emissions.

  • * Figures are for production processes only.

  • * Figures are for production processes only.
    * Basic unit: Amount of usage or emission per year divided by the production amount
      Basic unit = Amount of usage or emission per year/Production amount (ton) in 1 year

Resource Circulation

Plant waste includes food waste such as coffee and tea extract residue, waste paper, waste plastics, metal scrap, waste sludge generated from wastewater treatment systems, etc. In FY 2017, food waste and waste sludge accounted for the highest and second-highest proportions of plant waste at Morinaga Group plants, 39% and 33%, respectively (together making up 72% of the total waste production).
Each plant is also working to develop production methods that reduce process losses and avoid waste generation. In FY 2017 changes were made in wastewater treatment management methods and, at certain plants, oxygen supply methods for wastewater treatment to increase aeration efficiency. As a result, excess sludge was reduced by 2,300 tons per year.

  • * Figures are for production processes only.

Conservation of Water Resources

Morinaga has continued with improvements to make even more efficient use of water resources at its plants and carry out ongoing development and improvement of wastewater treatment technologies to maintain water quality. Water recycling is one such approach of how water consumption can be reduced, for example once-used water is used as wash water. To clean wastewater after use and return it to nature, all Morinaga group plants are also equipped with wastewater treatment facilities, in which an activated sludge of microorganisms removes waste by digesting the nutrients in the wastewater. Once the nutrients are consumed, the sludge is gravity separated and the treated water is discharged. Some plants have also introduced MBRs (membrane bioreactors) which filter excess sludge via a membrane to help clarify the treated wastewater even further.

  • * Figures are for production processes only.

TOP